Get a Checkup. Create an Inventory.

Getting the right type and amount of insurance can help you recover more quickly from disaster and avoid years of financial challenges.

What will my insurance cover after a hurricane?

A homeowner’s insurance policy generally provides these areas of coverage:

  • Dwelling: Coverage for your house
  • Other structures: Garages, decks, and fences
  • Personal property: Furniture, clothing, and appliances
  • Loss of use: Compensation if you need to relocate temporarily due to covered damage
  • Personal liability: Accidents occurring on your property
  • Medical protection: Payments for a person who is injured on your property

The insurance industry identifies the cause of loss, such as fire or theft, as a “peril.” Check your policy to determine which perils are covered.

Review whether property insurance policies cover actual cash value or replacement cost. Be sure you understand deductibles, waiting periods before coverage begins, and procedures for notification of insurers when a loss occurs. Ask your insurance professional about potential discounts, incentives, or other savings available on the cost of your policy.

Some insurers offer discounts for the following:

  • Purchasing home/renters and auto insurance from the same provider
  • Installing smoke detectors, burglar alarms, sprinklers, or other improvements, such as hurricane shutters or reinforced roofing, or other hazard mitigation devices
  • Having a membership in a professional, alumni, or business group
  • Being a senior or retiree
  • Being a long-term policyholder

Contact your insurance company or professional agent every year for an insurance checkup to ensure your coverage keeps pace with your needs, belongings, and the perils you face.

Get an Insurance Checkup

What about flood insurance?

If it can rain where you live, it can flood where you live. If you live in a hurricane evacuation zone, you are also at risk from saltwater flooding. Losses caused by flooding may not be covered by standard homeowners’ insurance policies. Tell your insurance professional that you need flood insurance coverage, even if you are not in the highest-risk areas for flooding.

You can purchase flood insurance coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program. Coverage for other hazards like mold may be part of the basic property insurance, but the amount of loss payable under the policy may be limited.

If you can’t find an insurance company that offers a policy that meets your needs, contact your state insurance department for referrals or information on what coverage is available from your state’s involuntary market, shared market, or a state-backed plan.

Create a home inventory for easier insurance claims

Create and maintain a current home inventory to determine the correct amount of insurance to purchase and help make the claims process efficient and swift.

You may be entitled to tax credits or deductions for casualty losses, so documentation is key.

Create a Home Inventory